What is Shock Wave Treatment?
Shock wave therapy is a revolutionary treatment modality in physiotherapy that can significantly enhance the rehabilitation process and aid in the recovery from various injuries. This non-invasive technique utilises acoustic waves to stimulate the body's natural healing mechanisms, promoting tissue regeneration and reducing pain. For physiotherapy clients, shock wave treatment offers several benefits:
- It accelerates the healing process by improving blood circulation to the injured area, enhancing nutrient supply and removing metabolic waste products.
- Shock waves have analgesic effects, providing relief from pain associated with injuries.
- This therapy helps to break down scar tissue, facilitating better tissue remodelling and improved joint flexibility.
By incorporating shock wave treatment into their rehabilitation plan, physiotherapy clients can experience faster recovery, reduced pain and improved functionality, ultimately leading to a more effective and holistic approach to injury management.
*This treatment is only currently available at our Knowle Clinic.
Knowle clinic only
What can Shock Wave Therapy Treat?
Shock wave therapy has demonstrated efficacy in treating a variety of musculoskeletal conditions and injuries. Here are the top eight conditions that can benefit from shock wave therapy.
- Plantar Fasciitis: Shock wave therapy has proven effective in alleviating heel pain associated with plantar fasciitis by promoting tissue healing and reducing inflammation.
- Tennis Elbow (Lateral Epicondylitis): Shock waves can stimulate the healing process in the tendons affected by tennis elbow, reducing pain and improving function.
- Achilles Tendinopathy: For individuals suffering from Achilles tendon issues, shock wave therapy can enhance tissue regeneration, decrease pain and promote improved mobility.
- Rotator Cuff Tendinitis: Shock wave treatment has shown benefits in addressing inflammation and promoting healing in the tendons of the rotator cuff, aiding in the management of shoulder pain and dysfunction.
- Calcific Shoulder Tendinopathy: Shock waves can help break down calcium deposits in the shoulder, reducing pain and improving joint mobility for individuals with calcific shoulder tendinopathy.
- Hip Bursitis: Shock wave therapy may effectively manage hip bursitis by reducing inflammation and promoting healing in the affected bursa.
- Patellar Tendinopathy (Jumper's Knee): This therapy can benefit individuals with patellar tendinopathy, as shock waves stimulate the healing process in the patellar tendon, leading to reduced pain and improved function.
- Chronic Muscular Pain: Shock wave therapy has been explored as a treatment option for chronic muscular pain in various body regions, providing relief and promoting tissue repair.
It's important to note that the effectiveness of shock wave therapy can vary from person to person and a qualified physiotherapist will evaluate its suitability for a particular condition.
Book an Appointment
Appointments can be arranged by telephone or email. Self-funding patients can refer themselves to physio. We do not require a referral from your doctor.