Posted on 26th Jul 2022 at 10:40am
Amie provides an introduction to issues with the knee:
- Knee is tricompartmental – articulation between the thigh bone (femur), shin bone (tibia) and kneecap (patella).
- Articulating surfaces of the femur and tibia are covered by cartilage which forms a smooth surface. The joint capsule and ligaments maintain stability.
- Articular cartilage reduces friction and protects the bones from mechanical stress. It also acts as a shock absorber.
- Knee pain can be a symptom of many different conditions affecting a younger and older population.
- The hip and foot must always also be considered in relation to knee issues!